Tuesday 13 December 2011

OUGD301 EVALUATION

After what I thought was a good start to the year, being full of energy and ready to be thrown into the thick of it and get designing again, I stopped short halfway.
This module has been what I believe to be my most productive as well as the part of the course where I feel as if I can throw out ideas without need to worry about acceptance or respect from others since I have already been accepted with open arms. 


Although I have still being rigidly using illustrator as my go to program over photoshop, my digital skills have vastly improved, mainly because when I ask for help from someone they are more than willing to help out and give me their advice which has greatly boosted my confidence not only as an individual but as a designer. The advice and tips gained from workshops and certain individuals has helped me raster items properly and consider outcomes more clearly in context to a problem or brief.


On a negative note, I do think that the recurring problem of time management and lack of variation has been the death dealing blow to my overall progress. This becomes evident if we review my rationale which explicitly states that I would be exploiting various print methods with a focus on this. I have only screenprinted and used a rather primitive (yet highly effective) method of foiling, when I look at other people's work it makes me realise that I could have juggled many more small briefs that could of kept me going and created some lovely portfolio pieces. On the other hand, in the past 2 weeks I have picked up on this and managed to turnaround 2 briefs much quicker than I had done at the start of the year, which is definitely a bonus and is down to my decision making abilities vastly improving.


I think that I have not pushed the briefs as hard as I wanted since I bogged myself down with research and was more concerned with getting them finished which blinded me to the potential and possibility each brief had.
With all of this in mind, I think I have gained enough confidence and clarity in regards to my own practice to give myself a good start for next year's FMP even if it was at the expense of my own personal practice. 
I aim to be better organised, make proper use of my diary as I did at the start of the year since it did help me greatly as I cannot fully rely on daily scrawlings and notes in my notebooks.
I need to think of all possibilities relative to possible brief outcomes as well as producing something far more considered as not to hinder the final product.
I do believe though that this has been my most productive and least distracted module/year to date, this in mind, I would like to maybe move into some collaborations both outside the course and inside the course since I feel as if my ideas have improved and matured compared to my latter years.

No comments:

Post a Comment